We are both ISNet and SECOR certified; these contractor management systems ensure that we meet the highest standard of safety for our clients and our employees.

Ask Us a Question About Wildlife Management in Edmonton

After serving Edmonton and the surrounding community for over 50 years, Battle River Wildlife Management has seen similar questions and concerns from a variety of our clients. We have provided answers to our some of our most frequently asked questions below, in hopes that it will save you time when dealing with unwanted animals. Please don’t hesitate to call us with additional questions about our wildlife removal services.

Q: I have an animal problem in my home; however, I don’t know what type of animal it is. How do I determine what animal is causing the issue?

A: The best way to determine what animal is causing an issue is to have a wildlife specialist come out and assess the situation. Wild animals can carry a variety of diseases and be somewhat dangerous to handle; a wildlife specialist will have the protective equipment, necessary vaccinations, and experience to safely remove the animal.

Q: If I have a hurt or injured animal on my property, can I capture it myself?

A: Many birds and animals in Alberta are federally protected, and as a result, disturbing the animal or its nest is illegal without the proper permits and documentation. A wildlife specialist will gain the necessary documentation prior to any action.

Q: I have a problem with mice. Can’t just I just poison them with a poison bait station?

A: Using poisons presents a number of unintended complications. First, it’s difficult to be sure that the poisons are working. You can’t necessarily determine if your targeted animal is ingesting the poison and if the animal has died. Second, poisons are extremely dangerous because there is always the possibility that pets or small children could ingest it. Even in the case of locked bait stations, other small animals that you are not intending to poison could come in contact with it. Finally, when you poison an animal, you can’t be sure where it will expire. If the animal dies in your walls or attic, it will cost you a great deal of money to rip out drywall to deal with the decomposing body. If the animal dies outside, other birds and larger predators will likely eat it and they will become poisoned as well.

Q: Do you deal with dogs, cats or other domestic pets?

A: No, we only deal with wildlife, not pets; instead try contacting your local SPCA.

Q: Do you do carcass or roadkill removal?

A: No, instead contact your local county office for removal.

Q: I have coyotes coming into my yard in Edmonton, what can I do to keep them out?

A: Coyotes can be a danger for small pets or even children. There are several options to deal with coyotes. Call us and have us come out to survey the property and present you with some possible solutions.

Q: I have a flock of pigeons roosting on my roof. Will they go away on their own?

A: Some birds congregate in a given area to feed for a time and move on once the food source is exhausted, so it is possible that they might move on; however, often roosting birds will stay, nest and eventually multiply by giving birth to young or attracting other birds. Although birds are beautiful, some species such as magpies or pigeons can present significant health problems. These birds can carry various fungal infections which can transfer to humans. Leaving birds unmanaged for a long period of time can present significant health risk such as Histoplasmosis.

Q: What animals do you most often deal with?

A: We work with many different animals, but the ones we work with the most frequently are geese, coyotes, rodents, fox, muskrat, squirrels, pigeons, bats, magpies, beavers, porcupines, and skunks.

Q: What area do you service?

A: We service Edmonton and the surrounding area; including Sherwood Park, Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc, Nisku, Stony Plain, Spruce Grove, Pigeon Lake, Wabamum, Barrhead, Panoka, Red Water, and Mundare.

Created by

Legal notice